CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, December 12, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

My friend Megan did a blog post sharing her favorite Holiday traditions. I thought it was a fun thing to do myself and encourage those who read this to share some of your most favorites too! I'd have to say that the thing that stands out most in my mind from being a child at Christmas were the ornaments that my Mom hung from our family room ceiling. Our house was touched with Christmas everywhere you looked even on the ceiling! I would love to do that in my own home some day but will have to find a new way to tack them up since popcorn ceilings are no longer the fad. We always had Christmas carols playing and did lots of baking. I remember eagerly waiting on Christmas morning lined up on the stairs for our parents to roll out of bed. ( remember Dad's blue robe he always wore?) My parents always did their best to make sure that Christmas was a special day for all of us! As an adult with a family of my own now I have started some of our own traditions. We pull all of our decorations out the day after Thanksgiving to enjoy our festive house all month long. Watching all the classic Christmas movies is a must with Elf now being added into the favorites. We do a ginger bread house and have a dinner party with friends. I only allow Christmas music to be played all month long and for the past two years we have made a point to go to one of those neighborhoods that go all out with the lights! I always look forward to the night I set aside just to wrap all of the gifts we have bought for loved ones. My last favorite thing to do around Christmas is to read "Twas the night before Christmas" to my daughter. I loved this story as a little girl and hope Laney will look forward to it every year too! So you can see why this is the most wonderful time of the year for me, but why is it for you? Merry Christmas to all!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I wanted to do the ornaments on the ceiling, I DO have popcorn ceilings, but Dan won't let me because it will put holes in the ceiling. I totally remember Dad's robe and I remember having to use it for a towel a couple of times when there weren't any more clean ones! lol

Jackie said...

The ornaments on the ceiling was definitely the best! I would love to do that too! Maybe I should get Dad a new blue robe for Christmas! Cute post!

Dee said...

Love all of your traditions! So fun! I can't believe only 2 more weeks! :( I could listen to Christmas tunes all year. I'll be thinking of my favorite Christmas things and do a post soon!

Megan said...

Love it Lindsey! Had a great time last night...thank you for making the holidays even brighter!

Anonymous said...

The blue robe! LOL! I remember how anxious I was to get the ornaments up before you all came home from school and surprise you! It is a warm memory. There has to be a way to string them across the newer ceilings. AND the little push pins I used just leave miniscule holes that can't even be seen with the human eye! How fun to read your memories and new traditions you are starting. But don't forget that Dad reads "Twas the Night Before Christmas!"